FLORIDA BAR LEADERS recently presented the #OrlandoUnited banner, signed at the Bar’s Annual Convention, to Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer. The Young Lawyers Division also presented a check for $5,000 to Dyer for the OneOrlando Fund to help victims (and their families) of the Pulse massacre.
E-filing costs go up
It is costing slightly more to electronically file documents with the Florida court system following a raise in credit card and electronic check fees for using the system’s statewide e-filing portal.
Confidentiality of professionalism panels questioned
The confidentiality of records from circuit professionalism panels, continuing to promote the existence and use of those panels, and reaching lawyers before they develop bad professional habits are being addressed by the Supreme Court Commission on Professionalism.
“If you don’t love people, you can’t do this job.” That’s Sen. Dorothy Hukill, R-Port Orange, on the phone between campaign activities, setting a time for an interview. It might be the height of the wilting Florida summer heat, but the former teacher turned lawyer sounds energized as she actively campaigns for reelection, even though voting is still four months away.
CLE courses reviewed for tech components
If the Supreme Court adopts the Bar’s request to include a technology component in the mandatory continuing education requirements for Florida lawyers, many members may find they have already met the new standard.
Committee hopes to simplify rules governing confidential information
Two complex rules governing the identification of confidential information in court filings and encouraging the minimization of filing unnecessary personal information are getting a look from the Rules of Judicial Administration Committee with an eye to simplify the regulations.
- New lawyer/lobbyist panel needs members
- Court limits senior judges' arbitration, voluntary trial resolution work
- Senior lawyers panel explores new membership category
- Information about judicial candidates is available on The Florida Bar's website
- King addresses Bridge to Justice Breakfast
- Florida lawyers deploy to the Horn of Africa
- Akerman partners with CASA
- Coleman, Kowalski receive Bar Foundation President's Award
- Judge Holder reprimanded for ex parte communications
- Judge reprimanded for berating a victim of domestic violence
- Miranda turned on a single phrase
- Coxes awarded ABOTA's Coker Community Service Award
- Hiring special attorneys to handle lien resolutions goes to the court
- Kane wins Mattie Belle Davis Award
- Scheb American Inn of Court celebrates 25 years
- U.S. 11th Circuit to amend rules
- Amendments to juror questionnaire
- Amendments to criminal jury instructions
- Amendments to how counsel appear in a case
- Rules of Judicial Administration Committee Three-Year Cycle Amendments
- Amendments to the appellate rules
- Robold petitions for reinstatement
- Dupee petitions for reinstatement
- Rosenwasser petitions for reinstatement
- McNamee petitions for reinstatement
- Strickland petitions for reinstatement
- Tyler petitions for reinstatement
BROWARD COUNTY JUDGE ROBERT LEE was recently presented the Chief Justice Award for Judicial Excellence. In nearly two decades on the bench, Judge Lee has built “an inspiring record of activities and accomplishments,” Chief Justice Jorge Labarga said, praising Judge Lee for his “exceptional commitment to the judicial branch as well as his energy and his creativity.”
More than 43 years ago, Juan Silva, 60, served in the U.S. Army in Korea, but today he is fighting an ongoing battle to gain custody of his grandchildren.
On the Move
36th Annual RPPTL Legislative & Case Law Update Seminar
Course Classification: Intermediate Level, Live Presentation: Friday, July 29, The Beakers - 1 South County Road - Palm Beach.
8th Annual FUNdamentals: The Legal Implications of the "Internet of Things"
Course Classification: Advanced Level, One Location: September 16, Rosen Centre Hotel, 9840 International Drive, Orlando
Florida Bar Resources
The Florida Bar Journal Digital Edition
With this digital edition you can:
• Download a PDF of the entire issue
• Perform keyword search
• Share articles on social media
• Enjoy the magazine on your mobile device
Read the full issue>