The charge of the Constitutional Judiciary Committee is to strengthen the public’s understanding of the role of the judicial branch of government, the Constitution, the rule of law, and the role of judges and juries in the administration of justice.
Watch 'A Respected Judiciary' seminar
At the 2016 Florida Bar Annual Convention, judges, legal scholars and a former House speaker explored various avenues for achieving balance between judicial independence and accountability. Mary C. McQueen, president of the National Center for State Courts, moderated “A Respected Judiciary – Balancing Independence and Accountability.” (Note: Introductory parts of the seminar are not included in the recording.) Panelists were:
- Major B. Harding, a retired Florida Supreme Court justice.
- Mark D. Martin, chief justice of the North Carolina Supreme Court.
- Dean Cannon, a former speaker of the Florida House of Representatives.
- Brian Fitzpatrick, a professor at Vanderbilt University Law School.
- Melinda Gann Hall, a professor of political science at Michigan State University.
Watch Every 20 Years webinar
A webinar about the Benchmarks presentation “Every 20 Years” was recorded in cooperation with the Young Lawyers Division. Annette Pitts, executive director of The Florida Law Related Education Association, explains both the Benchmarks program and the presentation designed to educate the public about the upcoming Constitution Revision Commission, which convenes every 20 years. Those who watch the webinar are considered trained for presenting Benchmarks activities.
Benchmarks activities available online
The Constitutional Judiciary Committee's Benchmarks activities are available for download on line:
- Amending the Florida Constitution and the role of the courts.
- Judging candidates for judicial office.
- Understanding what makes a law "constitutional."
- Getting beyond labels in discussing courts and controversial cases.
- Interpreting what laws mean.
- Testing your knowledge of what's in the U.S. and Florida constitutions.
|Deborah Michelle Sisco||Chair||Tampa||2018|
|Sacha Dyson||Vice Chair||Tampa||2018|
|Michelle Renee Suskauer||Board Liaison||West Palm Beach||2017|
|Arlene Evon Acord||Tampa||2017|
|Augustus Davis Aikens, Jr.||Tallahassee||2019|
|Alvan Balent, Jr.||Miami||2019|
|Andrew Matthew Bennett||Tampa||2019|
|J Clancey Bounds||Maitland||2017|
|Edward John Carbone||Tampa||2018|
|Angela Cote Dempsey||Tallahassee||2017|
|Karla D Ellis||Tallahassee||2017|
|Mary C. Evans||Naples||2019|
|Alan Orantes Forst||West Palm Beach||2018|
|Thomas D Graham||Miami||2017|
|Kenneth Joseph Joyce||Fort Lauderdale||2017|
|Richard Harry Levenstein||Stuart||2019|
|Stephanie Marusak Marchman||Gainesville||2019|
|Jesse Michael Panuccio||Washington||2019|
|Joseph Daniel Pickles||Jacksonville||2019|
|Adam Gregory Suess||El Dorado||2019|