The Florida Bar

Frequently Asked Membership Questions

FAQ Re: Continuing Education Requirement / Applications and Program / Membership

On This Page

What if I have a name change after I have registered as a FRP?
You can email or mail us a copy of your divorce decree, marriage license or I.D. card showing the name change.

Will I be sent a new certificate to reflect my name change?
Only upon request.

How can I update my profile?
You can change your address by logging on to the Bar's website at Click on the Paralegals tab, then click on the Update Profile link. You must have a password to log in.

How do I obtain a password?
When you applied for Florida Registered Paralegal status, you were asked for the last 4 digits of your social security number and an e-mail address. If you supplied this information, you may obtain a password online which will enable you to access some secure portions of The Florida Bar's website. You must have a password to enter your continuing education credits. To obtain a password online, follow these steps:

1) Access the bar's website,

2) Click on Login on the top right of the page.

3) Click on First time user on that page.

4) On the new page, in the box requesting you to enter your Bar Member Number enter your FRP number. Your FRP number can be found on the bottom of your certificate.

5) In the next box, enter the last 4 digits of your Social Security number that you listed on your FRP application.

6) In the box that says New Password enter desired password. It is in this box that you are creating your password. Please note that passwords are case-sensitive, and must contain at least six characters total, with at least one number and one letter.

7) Type desired password again in the Confirm New password box. Click submit.

8) It will take a few minutes before your password is set.

If you are having difficulty setting a password, contact Membership Records at (800) 342-8060 ext. 5832.

Once I am registered, what designation may I use?
The rule provides that "[a] Florida Registered Paralegal shall disclose his or her status as a Florida Registered Paralegal at the outset of any professional relationship with a client, attorneys, a court or administrative agency or personnel thereof, and members of the general public." You may either say Florida Registered Paralegal or FRP. However, if you state FRP, you must also state paralegal. For example:
J. Doe, FRP
Law Office

Back to Top

I am also certified by another organization. When listing my credentials, which do I list first? Do I need to list all of my credentials?
You should check with the other organization. The Florida Bar rule does not control the order. However, you must state that you are a Florida Registered Paralegal. (See question above as to disclosure requirement)

Can my old firm update my profile with my new address?
No. Only you can change your address. If we receive correspondence from a third party that your address has changed, we cannot make the change. You must change your address. It is your obligation to keep your address up to date.

What is the annual renewal fee and when is it due?
The annual renewal fee is $150.00. Generally, it is due July 1 of each year and considered late after August 15. If late, a $40.00 late fee is added. If the renewal fee + late fee is not paid by October 1, your FRP status will be revoked. If any of these dates fall on a Saturday or Sunday, the date is extended to the following Monday.
The annual renewal statements are mailed at the end of May or beginning of June. If you are registered as an FRP prior to the date the renewals are mailed, you will be mailed a renewal statement. For example, if you are registered May 1, you will be mailed a renewal statement and must pay the renewal fee to keep your FRP status. Your renewal fee is different from your application fee. Even if you paid your application fee close to the date your renewal fee is due, you will need to pay the renewal fee to keep your FRP status.

Can I pay my annual renewal fee in installments?
Only if you are employed by a federal, state or local government.

Can I reapply if I am revoked for nonpayment of fees?
Yes. You must submit a new application along with $145.00 non-refundable fee.

If I lose my job, can I maintain my FRP status?
No. You must notify The Florida Bar that you are no longer working. When you obtain future employment, you can submit a new application and $145.00 non-refundable fee.

What type of benefits are FRPs eligible for?

FRPs are eligible for the same benefits offered to attorneys.

Back to Top

[Revised: 02-25-2016]