FLORIDA BAR TO HOLD ANNUAL CONVENTION IN ORLANDO
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 18, 2014
CONTACT: Susannah Lyle; email@example.com,
The Florida Bar
TELEPHONE: (850) 561-5666
TALLAHASSEE – The Florida Bar will hold its Annual Convention in Orlando/Kissimmee at the Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center from June 25 to 28.
West Palm Beach attorney Gregory W. Coleman will be sworn in as the Bar's 66th president at the General Assembly on Friday, June 27, while Miami attorney Ramón A. Abadin will be sworn in as president-elect. Abadin will become president in 2015.
"Embracing Connectivity" is the convention theme, which “represents the importance for members of The Florida Bar to connect with our profession, our colleagues, our families and our clients,” wrote current president Eugene K. Pettis in a letter to convention attendees.
The convention gives Florida Bar members a chance to choose from an array of seminars for Continuing Legal Education credit, meet with their committees and sections dedicated to advancing the Bar's work, network with colleagues and attend special luncheons and events including:
- The Judicial Luncheon will feature Florida Supreme Court Chief Justice Ricky Polston delivering the State of the Judiciary address. Fred D. Gray, noted civil rights attorney whose clients included Martin Luther King Jr. and Rosa Parks, is the guest speaker. The luncheon will be held from 12:30 to 2 p.m. on Thursday, June 26. Tickets are required.
- The 50-Year Member Luncheon honors the 203 attorneys who became members of The Florida Bar in 1964 or who have practiced law for 50 years and are current Florida Bar members. Former Florida Supreme Court Justice Harry Lee Anstead, a 50-year honoree, is the featured speaker at the luncheon, from 12:30 to 2 p.m. on Friday, June 27. Tickets are required.
- “A Transforming Legal Environment: Setting a New Course for Success.” This Presidential Showcase seminar will examine forces transforming the legal market and provide attorneys with strategies and tactics to strengthen their businesses and better serve clients. The keynote presenter is attorney Jordan Furlong, author of “Evolutionary Road: A Strategic Guide to Your Law Firm’s Future.” This seminar is being presented from 2 to 5 p.m. on Friday, June 27, and will be available as a live webcast.
- Masters Seminar on Ethics 2014. This Presidential Showcase seminar will delve into a variety of ethics issues faced by both new and seasoned lawyers. It will cover the expectations of civility, candor and ethical behavior in and out of the courtroom, and ethical considerations related to the impact of technology on the practice of law. This seminar will take place from 8:30 a.m. till noon, on Friday, June 27.
- Benchmarks/Informed Voters Project features Florida Supreme Court Justice Barbara Pariente as a lead presenter in a seminar that will prepare attorneys and judges to talk to civic and community groups about the importance of a fair and impartial judiciary, the rule of law, and the courts and the Constitution. The two-hour seminar is being held from 3 to 5 p.m. on Friday, June 27.
With nearly 99,000 members, The Florida Bar is one of the largest Bars in the nation. It is charged by the Florida Supreme Court with regulating the practice of law in the state as well as promoting the administration of justice.
Registration fees and ticket costs and other details about the Annual Convention are available on The Florida Bar website.
EDITORS: Please note The Florida Bar is not an association and "Association" is not part of our name. Proper reference is "The Florida Bar." Local bar organizations are properly termed "associations."