WILLIAM SCHIFINO, JR., takes the oath of office with Chief Justice Labarga, as Schifino’s wife, Paola, holds the Bible, and daughters Amanda and Julia, and son Will witness the occasion.
Calling for a collaborative approach, Florida Bar President William Schifino, Jr., pledged to tackle challenges facing the profession head-on while listening to others. “As we travel this road together, we should never fear new ideas,” 56-year-old Schifino, the Tampa managing partner at Burr Forman, told those gathered at his swearing-in ceremony at the Bar Convention’s General Assembly.
Higer becomes president-elect
Michael J. Higer of Miami became president-elect of The Florida Bar at its Annual Convention June 17 in Orlando. Higer is a partner of Berger Singerman’s dispute resolution team and is an experienced trial lawyer with a concentration in commercial litigation and civil trial work.
Access Commission seeks permanency
The Florida Commission on Access to Civil Justice has submitted its final report, summarizing its work for the last year and a half and making just one recommendation to the Florida Supreme Court: Don’t stop us now.
Labarga details the challenges ahead
Access to justice, court security, improved communications with the public about the justice system, and keeping the court system fair and accessible in an evolving world are challenges Florida courts will address in the coming years.
Immediate past ABA President William Hubbard recently gave a talk to a Rotary Club in South Carolina on the rapidly changing legal marketplace.
Board to take up referral services at July meeting
Bar rule amendments that address for-profit lawyer referral services, online legal service providers, legal directories, and similar operations — and how lawyers interact with them — are set for a vote at the Board of Governors July 29 meeting in Miami Beach.
Miller leads the YLD
Educate. Advocate. Serve. Katherine Hurst Miller, the new Young Lawyers Division president, specified those three goals during her installation speech at the 2016 Florida Bar Annual Convention in Orlando. “You can help us educate, advocate, and serve.
'Technology has empowered the legal consumer'
During his year as president, Ramón Abadin was faced with a choice: engage Florida Bar members in a frank conversation or simply ignore the “transformative forces affecting our profession.”
- New lawyer/lobbyist panel needs members
- Professional ethics panel takes on weighty issues
- Trial Lawyers honor Joyner, Moskowitz
- CABA Pro Bono Project receives $150,000
- Bar President's Awards of Merit
- Daniels wins Selig Goldin Award
- McLeroy wins Medal of Honor
- Copelan honored for public interest work
- Shutts & Bowen recognized
- Chappell wins William Hoeveler Judicial Professionalism Award
- Shumaker team donates to BALS
- Clark, White honored with Government Lawyer Section's Claude Pepper Award
- Three recognized for Justice Teaching efforts
- Orange County Bar wins professionalism award
- Tropin wins Learned Hand Award
- Proposed board action
- Proposed Advisory Opinion 16-1 on Forgiving Litigation Costs Adopted by the Professional Ethics Committee
- Robold petitions for reinstatement
- Dupee petitions for reinstatement
- Rosenwasser petitions for reinstatement
- Makemson wants to serve as a senior judge
'Our grief, instead of having to be hidden, can be shared with the world'
Outgoing Bar President Ramón Abadin said he had known since his first day leading the Bar that Orlando attorney Larry Smith would be his choice to receive the Bar’s prestigious G. Kirk Haas Humanitarian Award for Smith’s long advocacy for equal rights on behalf of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community.
THE ANIMAL LAW SECTION hosted a booth at the Bar’s Annual Convention in Orlando so members could become more familiar with the Bar’s new section and meet therapy dog, Rikki, who assists crime victims at the courthouse and patients at hospitals.
On the Move
36th Annual RPPTL Legislative & Case Law Update Seminar
Course Classification: Intermediate Level, Live Presentation: Friday, July 29, The Beakers - 1 South County Road - Palm Beach.
Florida Bar Resources
The Florida Bar Journal Digital Edition
With this digital edition you can:
• Download a PDF of the entire issue
• Perform keyword search
• Share articles on social media
• Enjoy the magazine on your mobile device
Read the full issue>