Vision 2016 Commission: Comprehensive Study of the Future Practice of Law
The Vision 2016 Commission is performing an in-depth review of four general areas that will impact the future practice of law in Florida: Legal Education; Technology; Bar Admissions; and Access to Legal Services.
The Commission will look at the current impact, as well as the long-term challenges that the legal profession will face. This comprehensive study will provide the foundation to “prepare today’s lawyer for tomorrow’s practice.”
Jay Cohen, Fort Lauderdale, Overall Administrator
Martha Barnett, Tallahassee, Special Counsel
- Florida Bar President Ramón A. Abadin clarifies concerns on the issue of admission by motion/reciprocity.
- August 20 - 4 p.m. Fort Myers. Hosted by 20th Circuit Board members Marcy Shaw and Laird Lile in the Hospitality Room at Alico Arena, 10501 FGCU Boulevard South, Fort Myers, Florida 33965.
- August 21 - 1:30 p.m., Stuart. Hosted by Martin County Bar Association with President-elect Bill Schifino and 19th circuit Board of Governors member John M. Stewart, Kane Center, 900 SE Salerno Road.
- September 3 - 4 p.m., University of Florida Levin College of Law, Chesterfield Smith Classroom (Rm 180), 309 Village Drive Gainesville, FL 32611. Hosted by Gordon Glover, President of The Florida Bar Young Lawyers Division.
- September 15 - 5 to 7 p.m., Chester H. Ferguson Law Center, 1610 N. Tampa St., Tampa, FL 33602. Hosted by 13th Circuit Voluntary Bar Association.
- September 22 - 11:45 a.m. - 1:15 p.m., Marriott, 1001 Okeechobee Blvd., West Palm Beach, FL 33401. Hosted by Palm Beach County Bar Association.
- September 30 - 5:30 p.m., Ruth's Chris CityPlace, 651 Okeechobee Blvd., West Palm Beach, FL 33401. Hosted by Palm Beach County Justice Association.
Vision 2016 Town Hall Meetings
Subgroup Areas of Study
Access to Legal Services Subgroup
Bar Admissions Subgroup
Preliminary Report - July 24, 2015 (including admission by motion/reciprocity)
Legal Education Subgroup
General Comments: VisionGeneral@flabar.org
Results of the Vision 2016 Commission Survey on Legal Education and Bar Admissions (November 2014).
Florida Bar News Articles
Open hearing on reciprocity set for September, August 15, 2015
Tell us what you think, August 15, 2015
All Vision 2016 recommendations will be carefully vetted, August 15, 2015
Members sound off on reciprocity, August 15, 2015
What Vision 2016 is studying, August 15, 2015
Agenda set for Board of Governors July meeting, July 15, 2015
Coleman: The Bar is making great strides forward, July 15, 2015
The future is now, July 15, 2015
Unbundled services for civil cases proposed, July 15, 2015
Board considers enhanced technology CLE component, June 15, 2015
Board creates tech committees, June 15, 2015
Budget, technology, legal marketing are on the board’s agenda, May 15, 2015
Abadin gears up for the challenges ahead, April 15, 2015
Recommendations emphasize technological competence, April 15, 2015
Unbundled legal services considered for civil cases, April 15, 2015
Board of Governors readies for St. Petersburg meeting, March 15, 2015
Lawmakers talk access, March 1, 2015
RJAC works on substitute attorney rules, March 1, 2015
Both exciting and scary, the Bar and the court look to the future, February 15, 2015
Board approves the Bar’s long-range strategic plan, February 1, 2015
Bar board readies for Tallahassee meeting, January 15, 2015
Technology rapidly transforms the legal services marketplace, January 15, 2015
Work continues on rules addressing temporary appearances, December 1, 2014
Florida lawyers call for change, November 15, 2014
Florida lawyers weigh in on profession’s future, November 15, 2014
Video added to Vision 2016 story, September 1, 2014
‘In 10 years, UPL will be a dead letter’, August 15, 2014
Legal profession must change with the times or be left behind, July 15, 2014
Summing up a year of inclusion, July 15, 2014
What makes lawyers happy?, July 1, 2014
Program to examine the profession’s challenges, June 1, 2014
E-etiquette guide being studied, May 1, 2014
‘Legal freegans’ are looking to ‘eat your lunch’, February 15, 2014
Groups begin zeroing in on specific areas of study, February 15, 2014
Website upgrade, Vision 2016 funding approved, January 15, 2014
Abadin to lead the Bar, January 1, 2014
Bar board creates new Technology Committee, January 1, 2014
Board to examine referral services, ad rules, and technology, December 1, 2013
Pettis: Leaders must help shape the profession’s future, November 1, 2013
Should house counsel serve on Bar panels?, November 1, 2013
Comprehensive study of the future practice of law underway, October 15, 2013
Vision 2016 commission, October 15, 2013
Pettis’ goals: Leadership, civics, vision, July 15, 2013
Videos: July 2014 Board of Governors meeting -- Vision 2016 Commission Report
The Florida Bar Board of Governors in July 2014 participated in a presentation on Vision 2016 and heard reports from the four panels, which deal with technology, legal education, bar admissions, and access to services. Read The Florida Bar News' in-depth report of that meeting.
- Full video -- Technology, Admission, Education & Access
- Report from Technology Subgroup
- Report from Bar Admissions Subgroup
- Report from Access to Legal Services Subgroup
- Report from Legal Education Subgroup