The Florida Bar
The Vote’s in YOUR COURT - Second DCA Biographies
|Second District Court of Appeal|
Judge Anthony K. Black
|Judge Black is currently serving on the Subcommittee on Postconviction Relief as appointed by the Supreme Court of Florida, as well as the Supreme Court Committee on Standard Jury Instructions in Criminal Cases.|
- Judge Black graduated magna cum laude from Arizona State University in 1978 with a bachelor’s degree in accounting.
- Judge Black practiced law for nineteen years before being appointed to the Thirteenth Judicial Circuit Court in 2002 by Governor Jeb Bush. April 2010 he was appointed by Governor Charlie Crist to the appellate bench.
- He has authored several articles for The Florida Bar Journal, and he has been active in the Hillsborough County Bar Association.
- Judge Black served as president of the Tampa Bay Inn of Court and as a board member on behalf of the Hillsborough Association of Women Lawyers and the Abe Brown Ministries.
Judge Darryl C. Casanueva
|Judge Casanueva was appointed in 1998 to the Second District Court of Appeal and continues to serve there today. He also served as the court's chief judge from July 2009 through June 2011.|
- Judge Casanueva attended the University of South Florida, where he received his B.A. degree in political science. He received his J.D. degree from Loyola University School of Law in New Orleans and his Masters of Laws in Judicial Process from the University of Virginia
- Since joining the judiciary, he has served in a number of capacities including: on the Education Program Committee for the Conference of District Court of Appeal Judges, initially as a member and later as chair (2002-06); as a member of the Supreme Court Committee on Standard Jury Instructions in Criminal Cases (2005-09); and as a faculty member of the Florida Judicial College, Phase I, and as a faculty member of the Florida Judicial College Appellate Program (2007 to present).
- His prior civic activities included service as president of the Port Charlotte Rotary Club; member of the Arts & Humanities Council; committee member of the Charlotte County Constitution Bicentennial Committee; member of the Mote Marine Advisory Committee; and member of the board of directors of St. Joseph/Bon Secours Foundation.
Judge Charles A. Davis, Jr.
|As a circuit judge, Charles A. Davis, Jr. sat in all divisions of the court and served as chief judge as of 1995. Governor Jeb Bush appointed him to the Second District Court of Appeal in 1999.|
- Judge Davis received his B.A. degree with high honors from Trevecca Nazarene College in 1970 and his M.A. degree from the University of Cincinnati in 1971. From 1971 through 1973 he taught in the public schools of Polk County. He received his J.D. degree, with honors, from the University of Florida in 1975.
- In 1976 he was elected to the Winter Haven City Commission and was elected Mayor in 1978.
- Judge Davis is active in community and church activities. He has served on the Board of Directors for the Winter Haven Chamber of Commerce, the Citrus Center Boys Club, and Polk County Youth for Christ.
- He is the past president of the Winter Haven Optimist Club and the Auburndale, Lake Alfred, and Winter Haven Bar Association.
Judge Edward C. LaRose
|Governor Jeb Bush appointed Judge LaRose to the Second District Court of Appeal, and he began serving as a member of the court in February 2005.|
- Judge LaRose received his undergraduate degree, summa cum laude, in 1977 from Boston College. He received his J.D. degree, cum laude, from Cornell Law School in 1980.
- Judge LaRose is board certified in Antitrust and Trade Regulation Law by The Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization and Education.
- He is an active member of the Hillsborough County Bar Association and The Florida Bar.
- He served as the chair of the Unlicensed Practice of Law Committee (13th Judicial Circuit "A") and was a member of The Florida Bar Antitrust & Trade Regulation Certification Committee.
- Judge LaRose served as a trustee for Catholic Charities of the Diocese of St. Petersburg, Inc., and he remains active as a Catholic Charities volunteer.