Pro Bono Service Awards in Florida
Each year, the Florida Supreme Court and The Florida Bar give special recognition to lawyers, groups and a member of the judiciary who have freely given their time and expertise in making legal services available to the poor.
The 2014 Pro Bono Service Awards nominations are due by Nov. 12. The awards ceremony will be held at the Florida Supreme Court at 3:30 p.m., Thursday, Jan. 30, 2014.
1. The Tobias Simon Pro Bono Service Award
- Presented annually by the Chief Justice to an attorney to recognize extraordinary contributions in assuring the availability of legal services to the poor. Named for the late Miami civil rights lawyer Tobias Simon, the award represents the Supreme Court's highest recognition of a private lawyer for pro bono service. All current recipients of The Florida Bar President's Pro Bono Awards are considered for this prestigious award as are direct nominees who have demonstrated exemplary pro bono service over the course of their careers.
Tobias Simon Pro Bono Service Award Nomination
The Tobias Simon Pro Bono Service Award Past Recipients
2. The Florida Bar President’s Pro Bono Service Award
- This award is given to an outstanding attorney residing in each of the state's 20 judicial circuits and to an outstanding attorney among the out-of-state Florida Bar members.
Florida Bar President’s Pro Bono Service Award Nomination
2014 Pro Bono Service Awards Circuit Chairs
President's Pro Bono Service Award Recipients by year
- This statewide award recognizes a law firm which has demonstrated a significant contribution in the provision of pro bono legal services to individuals or groups that cannot otherwise afford the services. This award recognizes extraordinary commitment on the part of a law firm to provide access to the courts for all Floridians.
Chief Justice’s Law Firm Commendation Nomination
The Chief Justice's Law Firm Commendation Past Recipients
4. The Chief Justice's Voluntary Bar Association Pro Bono Service Award
- Also presented by the Chief Justice, this award recognizes a voluntary bar association that has demonstrated a significant contribution in the delivery of legal services on a pro bono basis to individuals or groups that cannot otherwise afford the services. This award recognizes an extraordinary commitment to provide access to the courts for all Floridians.
Chief Justice's Voluntary Bar Association Pro Bono Service Award Nomination
The Chief Justice's Voluntary Bar Pro Bono Service Award Past Recipients
- With nearly 26,000 members, the Young Lawyers Division includes all lawyers in good standing under age 36 and all new Florida Bar members of any age for their first five years in practice. The award will be given to the division member who best exemplifies the highest ideals of public service.
Young Lawyers Division Pro Bono Service Award Nomination
YLD Pro Bono Service Award Past Recipients
6. The Distinguished Judicial Service Award
- Presented by the Chief Justice, this award is presented for outstanding and sustained service to the public, especially as it relates to support of pro bono legal services. See past recipients of the Distinguished Judicial Service Award.
Distinguished Judicial Service Award Nomination
Distinguished Judicial Service Award Past Recipients
For additional information, contact Dorohn A. Frazier at firstname.lastname@example.org or (850) 561-5764.