The Florida Bar
|Director, Legal Publications|
|Division Director - Programs Division|
Supervises The Following Positions:
|Editor-Books; Associate Editor-Books; Rules Committee Liaisons (2); Editorial Assistants (2)|
|Manages Bar Legal Publications Books department and Court Rules department.|
% Of Time
|Essential Duties and Responsibilities|
- Organizes books and obtains authors; edits chapters; writes original material as needed; reviews final proofs of books.
- Manages production of Bar Legal Publications books. Together with LexisNexis, creates three year projection for manual production on which department budget is based.
- Reviews chapters edited by editors to ensure uniformity and consistency of substantive content and style.
- Reviews advertising and artwork for books and plans marketing initiatives with LexisNexis.
- Serves as staff liaison to civil and contracts, and business jury instructions committees.
- Serves as staff liaison to Rules of Judicial Administration Committee and Workers Compensation Rules Advisory Committee.
- Coordinates work assignments among liaisons and manages joint committee projects.
- Liaison duties include those listed in the Attorney Liaison- Rules position description (coordinates scheduling of meetings and attends meetings, prepares and distributes agendas, assists chair in preparing and submitting rule amendments to Board of Governors and Supreme Court, maintains committee records, etc).
|Prepares the budget and monitors income and expenses of departments:|
- Handles personnel matters within the departments.
- Monitors contracts - LexisNexis and Thomson Reuters, including review of royalty statements.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
|KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES NEEDED TO PERFORM SATISFACTORILY:|
-- Legal research techniques
-- Supervisory principles and techniques
-- Publication, production and marketing procedures
-- Rulemaking process and Supreme Court guidelines
-- Budgetary process
--Lotus Notes or similar database
--Correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar usage
--Excellent legal and analytical communication
-- Adobe Professional
--Effectively manage staff workflow
--Perform short and long term planning
--Interpret TFB policies and procedures
--Think logically and determine priorities
--Communicate effectively and professionally, both verbally and in writing
--Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others
--Work with a diverse group of people
--Perform editorial functions
--Use discretion and independent judgment
|MINIMUM EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE NEEDED FOR POSITION:|
|REQUIRED MINIMUM EDUCATION:|
Juris Doctor and Florida Bar Membership in Good Standing
REQUIRED MINIMUM PROFESSIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE:
Six (6) years of experience in writing, editing, legal research or related field with at least three (3) years of publication, production and marketing experience and one (1) year supervisory experience.
Additional progressively responsible related experience may substitute for the degree on a year-for-year basis. The degree is highly preferred and will be given preference.
Writing sample is required.