The Florida Bar
Welcome to the Center for Professionalism. Created as a joint project of the Supreme Court and The Florida Bar, the award-winning Center for Professionalism is here to serve you!
Henry Latimer Center for Professionalism
is here to serve YOU!
The Center was created by Administrative Order of the Florida Supreme Court in July of 1996 as a joint project of the Supreme Court and The Florida Bar. The Florida Bar’s Standing Committee on Professionalism works with the Center in fulfilling the vision and mission.
The Center for Professionalism was renamed The Henry Latimer Center for Professionalism in honor of Henry Latimer who died on January 24, 2005. Latimer served as one of the first African-American judges in Florida. He had a 30-year career as a lawyer and judge, which was exemplified by passion, excellence, wisdom and diplomacy. Henry Latimer served as a mentor to thousands, instilling in them his passion for equality, excellence, respect and professionalism.
| On This Page|
About the Center
Awards and Contests
About the Center
- What does the Center do?
- Professionalism Defined
- History of the Center, Commission, and Standing Committee
- The Supreme Court’s Commission on Professionalism
- The Florida Bar's Standing Committee on Professionalism
Back to Top
- Professionalism Expectations (approved by Board of Governors on January 30,2015)
- Oath of Admission to The Florida Bar
- Creed Of Professionalism
- Guidelines for Professional Conduct
- Supreme Court Order: Code for Resolving Professionalism Complaints (Amended by the Florida Supreme Court on Sept. 10, 2015)
- Circuit Administrative Orders Creating Local Professionalism Panels
- Chart of Contact Information to File a Complaint in Each Circuit
- RRTFB Ch. 4 Rules Of Professional Conduct
- RRTFB Ch. 19 Center For Professionalism
- Professionalism Handbook
|Information about filing a complaint regarding a lawyer's conduct is on the Attorney Consumer Assistance Program (ACAP) page.|
- CLE Guidelines explain what is necessary in qualifying for Professionalism CLE.
- Historical Video Series offers more than 30 interviews, each approved for up to 1.5 hours of Professionalism CLE credit. Please visit the 24/7 Online CLE Catalog of Courses/Professionalism for online and downloadable series or complete the Historical Video Series Order Form.
- See one example from the video series - Sandy D'Alemberte discusses the definition of professionalism in this 34 second video clip. You must have RealPlayer to view this file. You can download the free RealPlayer.
Awards and Contests
- William M. Hoeveler Judicial Professionalism Award seeks nominations annually for active members of the Judiciary that have exemplified professionalism.
- Group Professionalism Award seeks nominations annually for one program instituted and coordinated by a bar association, judicial organization, inn of court, or law school organization aimed at enhancing professionalism among lawyers and law students.
- Law Faculty/Administrator Professionalism Award seeks nominations annually for a faculty member or administrator of one of Florida's law schools who best exemplifies the mission of the Standing Committee on Professionalism.
- The Law Student Professionalism YouTube Contest seeks annual videos highlighting professionalism from law school students competing for a cash award.
- For more professionalism resources, check out our Library Guide hosted by Florida International University's College of Law .
- Professionalism Law Student Handbooks are provided biennially to all law students in Professional Responsibility classes and can be downloaded for your use.
- Helpful Links:
- University of St. Thomas: Holloran Center
Ideals and Goals of Professionalism (Replaced by Professionalism Expectations)
The Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough Center for Professionalism
National Institute for Teaching Ethics and Professionalism
Mercer University School of Law, Center for Legal Ethics and Professionalism
American Bar Association Center for Professional Responsibility Consortium on Professionalism Initiatives
American Bar Association Center for Professional Responsibility Professionalism Codes
Texas Center for Legal Ethics
The Florida Bar CLE To Go – Historical Video Series Podcast & Online Seminar
The North Carolina Court System
Hofstra Institute for the Study of Legal Ethics
Stanford Center on the Legal Profession
Thomas M. Cooley Law School: Center for Ethics, Service and Professionalism
|The Young Lawyer's Division of The Florida Bar offers mentoring resources including a Mentoring Program Guide and a Mentoring with the Masters Video Series . The Mentoring Program Guide allows Florida attorneys seeking to be a mentor or a mentee to search for programs by geographical location.|
The Mentoring with the Masters series offers advice from Bar leaders and experts in a variety of targeted videos aimed at helping newer lawyers in the formative years of their practice. Several of these videos focus on professionalism including but not limited to: Exercising Professionalism, Ethics in Social Media, Professionalism is an Expectation, and Attorney Conduct that Results in Bar Grievances with Linda Calvert Hanson, Former Director of the Henry Latimer Center for Professionalism; E-Etiquette and the New Professionalism with Florida Bar President, Gregory Coleman, Quality of Life with John Sutton of the Sutton Law Group, P.A. and Jamie Moses, of Fisher Rushmer, P.A. as well as courtroom decorum.
|For those looking for section specific mentoring options, the Center has compiled a list of mentoring opportunities.|
|In addition, the Center for Professionalism offers a mentoring toolbox for any group looking to add mentoring to their member benefits. This toolbox includes a description of the mentoring program options, resources regarding implementing a mentoring program, a powerpoint presentation designed to train mentors, and several recommended documents for use in implementation.|
- Circuit Professionalism Report Form
- Law School Report Form
- Historical Video Series Order Form
- William M. Hoeveler Judicial Professionalism Award Nomination Form
- Law Faculty/Administrator Professionalism Award Nomination Form
- Group Professionalism Award Nomination Form
- Law Student Professionalism YouTube Contest Submission Application
* On August 6, 1999, the Center for Professionalism was awarded the E. Smythe Gambrell Award which was presented by The E. Smythe Fund for Professionalism, the American Bar Association, and the Standing Committee on Professionalism.