The Florida Bar
Henry Latimer Center for Professionalism
is here to serve YOU!
The Center was created by Administrative Order of the Florida Supreme Court in July of 1996 as a joint project of the Supreme Court and The Florida Bar. It is governed by the Supreme Court’s Commission on Professionalism, also created at that time. The Florida Bar’s Standing Committee on Professionalism works with the Commission and Center in fulfilling the vision and mission.
The Center for Professionalism was renamed The Henry Latimer Center for Professionalism in honor of Henry Latimer who died on January 24, 2005. Latimer served as one of the first African-American judges in Florida. He had a 30-year career as a lawyer and judge, which was exemplified by passion, excellence, wisdom and diplomacy. Henry Latimer served as a mentor to thousands, instilling in them his passion for equality, excellence, respect and professionalism.
| On This Page|
About the Center
Awards and Contests
About the Center
- What does the Center do?
- Professionalism Defined
- History of the Center, Commission, and Standing Committee
- The Supreme Court’s Commission on Professionalism
- The Florida Bar's Standing Committee on Professionalism
- Professionalism Expectations (approved by Board of Governors on January 30,2015)
- Oath of Admission to The Florida Bar
- Creed Of Professionalism
- Ideals and Goals of Professionalism (Replaced by Professionalism Expectations)
- Guidelines for Professional Conduct
- Supreme Court Order: Code for Resolving Professionalism Complaints (Amended by the Florida Supreme Court on Jan. 29, 2015)
- Circuit Administrative Orders Creating Local Professionalism Panels
- Chart of Contact Information to File a Complaint in Each Circuit
- RRTFB Ch. 4 Rules Of Professional Conduct
- RRTFB Ch. 19 Center For Professionalism
- Professionalism Handbook
- The Professional Newsletter: Spring 2015 , Subscribe via e-mail to our newsletter, review past issues.
- CLE Guidelines explain what is necessary in qualifying for Professionalism CLE.
- Historical Video Series of more than 30 interviews, each approved for up to one hour of Professionalism CLE. Complete the Historical Video Series Order Form.
See one example from the video series - Sandy D'Alemberte discusses the definition of professionalism in this 34 second video clip. You must have RealPlayer to view this file. You can download the free RealPlayer.
Awards and Contests
- William M. Hoeveler Judicial Professionalism Award seeks nominations annually for active members of the Judiciary that have exemplified professionalism.
- Group Professionalism Award seeks nominations annually for one program instituted and coordinated by a bar association, judicial organization, inn of court, or law school organization aimed at enhancing professionalism among lawyers and law students.
- Law Faculty/Administrator Professionalism Award seeks nominations annually for a faculty member or administrator of one of Florida's law schools who best exemplifies the mission of the Standing Committee on Professionalism
- Florida Law Student Essay Contest seeks essays on selected professionalism topics annually from law schools students competing for a cash award.
- The Law Student Professionalism YouTube Contest seeks annual videos highlighting professionalism from law school students competing for a cash award.
- Professionalism Law Student Handbooks are provided biennially to all law students in Professional Responsibility classes and can be downloaded for your use.
- Helpful Links:
- University of St. Thomas: Holloran Center
Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough Center for Professionalism
National Institute for Teaching Ethics and Professionalism
Mercer University School of Law, Center for Legal Ethics and Professionalism
American Bar Association Center for Professional Responsibility Consortium on Professionalism Initiatives
American Bar Association Center for Professional Responsibility Professionalism Codes
Texas Center for Legal Ethics
The Florida Bar CLE To Go – Historical Video Series Podcast & Online Seminar
The North Carolina Court System
University of St. Thomas, Holloran Center for Ethical Leadership
Hofstra Institute for the Study of Legal Ethics
Stanford Center on the Legal Profession
Thomas M. Cooley Law School: Center for Ethics, Service and Professionalism
Please contact the Henry Latimer Center for Professionalism if your organization is interested in starting a mentoring program. The Center has a mentoring toolbox with all of the essentials to start your own mentoring program.
- 2015 Annual Report for the Standing Committee on Professionalism
- Circuit Professionalism Reports show efforts being made by the Florida Judicial Circuits toward promoting professionalism.
- Law School Reports on Professionalism show efforts being made by law schools to promote professionalism.
- 2014-2015 Circuit Professionalism Report Form
- 2014-2015 Law School Report Form
- Historical Video Series Order Form
- William M. Hoeveler Judicial Professionalism Award Nomination Form
- Law Faculty/Administrator Professionalism Award Nomination Form
- Group Professionalism Award Nomination Form
Office hours are from 8 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Monday - Friday
The Henry Latimer Center for Professionalism
651 E. Jefferson Street (Yahoo Map )
Tallahassee, FL 32399-2300
Director: Jacina Haston
Director Emeritus: Linda Calvert Hanson
Assistant Director: Sarah Bolinder
Program Coordinator: Chris Hargrett