The Florida Bar
Sources of Authority and Guidance Regarding Political Activity by Judges and Judicial Campaigns
This page includes links to many of the laws, rules and opinions governing candidates running for judicial office.
- Code of Judicial Conduct.
- Canon 7 of the Code of Judicial Conduct governs political conduct by judges and judicial candidates.
- An Aid to Understanding Canon 7 of the Code of Judicial Conduct
- The Supreme Court's Judicial Ethics Advisory Committee includes three district court of appeal judges, four circuit judges, three county court judges and two practicing members of The Florida Bar. Read the Elections Opinions of the Judicial Ethics Advisory Committee.
- Florida Statutes Chapters 97 through 107 apply to elections.
- Chapter 105 relates to qualifying and elections procedures in nonpartisan elections.
- Section 105.071 includes the specific limitations on political activities of candidates for judicial office.
- Chapter 106 regulates campaign finance reporting requirements.
- In addition to the information on this page, Florida Supreme Court decisions related to Canon 7 establish the law governing permissible conduct of judicial candidates.
- Florida Bar Rules Applicable to Members of the Bar in Judicial Campaigns govern attorneys running for judicial office.
- Judicial Nominating Procedures include standards and qualifications for judicial applicants and the criteria used by Judicial Nominating Commissions in rating nominees.
EDITORS: Please note The Florida Bar is not an association and "Association" is not part of our name. Proper reference is "The Florida Bar." Local bar organizations are properly termed "associations."