Board elections results announcement
Results of elections for the Board of Governors are available. There will be a contested race for president-elect between David C. Prather of West Palm Beach and William J. Schifino Jr. of Tampa and for seats in the 11th and 16th circuits. One new out-of-state member was elected and 19 incumbents were reelected.
Web maintenance scheduled
The Florida Bar website will be unavailable from 6 p.m. Friday, Dec. 19, until 8 a.m. Monday, Dec. 22. Members will continue to have access to Fastcase legal research. Our apologies for any inconvenience.
The Florida Bar News
The December 15 Bar News is now available with stories including:
- Involving state business leaders in the access to civil justice initiative.
- The oral argument on the petition to raise Bar fees for legal aid.
- The YLD's social media webinar reaching around the world.
- The Florida Bar Seeks a Public Member to Serve on its Governing Board. Applications due Jan. 30.
- The Florida Bar Foundation is seeking applicants for six seats on its Board of Directors for terms starting July 2015 under the Florida Supreme Court-approved governance plan. Applications due Feb. 2.
2015 Winter Meeting
Make plans to attend The Florida Bar’s Winter Meeting, January 21-24, at the Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista. Book your hotel room today and take advantage of our special group rate.
The President-elect of The Florida Bar appoints bar members to serve on standing committees. The committee preference form is online until Jan. 15. Appointments begin July 1, 2015. The application form for Leadership Academy is now available.
The Florida Bar Journal
The December issue of The Florida Bar Journal is now available online, featuring articles on:
- Foreseeable crimes in premises liability cases
- Intentional-tort exception to employers’ workers’ compensation immunity
- Presuit voluntary binding arbitration in medical malpractice cases
- Offshore account compliance
Find a Lawyer
Daily News Summary
'PRISON HOUDINI' SET TO MAKE HIS FIRST LEGAL ESCAPEHad Mark DeFriest just waited a couple of months to collect his inheritance, he never would have gone to prison. Had he just behaved while h...
SCOTT SHOULD END COSTLY LEGAL FIGHT TO KEEP FLAWED DRUG-TESTING LAWIn his first run for governor, Rick Scott campaigned on a promise to force welfare recipients to undergo drug tests before receiving state b...
LAWYERS FIX TYPO IN FIRST-DEGREE INDICTMENTSSuspect Andres "Andy" Avalos Jr. waived his right to appear in court Thursday in Bradenton at a hearing to correct a typographical error in ...