Board elections results announcement
Results of elections for the Board of Governors are available. There will be a contested race for president-elect between David C. Prather of West Palm Beach and William J. Schifino Jr. of Tampa and for seats in the 11th and 16th circuits. One new out-of-state member was elected and 19 incumbents were reelected.
Web maintenance scheduled
The Florida Bar website will be unavailable from 6 p.m. Friday, Dec. 19, until 8 a.m. Monday, Dec. 22. Members will continue to have access to Fastcase legal research. Our apologies for any inconvenience.
The Florida Bar News
The December 15 Bar News is now available with stories including:
- Involving state business leaders in the access to civil justice initiative.
- The oral argument on the petition to raise Bar fees for legal aid.
- The YLD's social media webinar reaching around the world.
Learn how to print groups of statutes on Fastcase with less hassle than ever before ... For additional information on this tip and others, visit the Tech Tips page.
- The Florida Bar Seeks a Public Member to Serve on its Governing Board. Applications due Jan. 30.
- The Florida Bar Foundation is seeking applicants for six seats on its Board of Directors for terms starting July 2015 under the Florida Supreme Court-approved governance plan. Applications due Feb. 2.
2015 Winter Meeting
Make plans to attend The Florida Bar’s Winter Meeting, January 21-24, at the Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista. Book your hotel room today and take advantage of our special group rate.
The President-elect of The Florida Bar appoints bar members to serve on standing committees. The committee preference form is online until Jan. 15. Appointments begin July 1, 2015. The application form for Leadership Academy is now available.
The Florida Bar Journal
The December issue of The Florida Bar Journal is now available online, featuring articles on:
- Foreseeable crimes in premises liability cases
- Intentional-tort exception to employers’ workers’ compensation immunity
- Presuit voluntary binding arbitration in medical malpractice cases
- Offshore account compliance
Find a Lawyer
Daily News Summary
1ST FLORIDA GAY DIVORCE GRANTED BY JUDGEThe first formal divorce for a gay couple in Florida history was granted by a Broward County judge who used the case to join other judges in...
EXECUTIONS IN UNITED STATES AT 20-YEAR LOW: REPORTAmid growing concerns about how executions are carried out in the United States, the number of prison inmates being put to death fell to a 2...
LEGAL PROFESSION RIPE FOR DISRUPTION BY SMART STARTUPSWhile lawyers have seen a few notable technology changes to date, law firms have hardly been bastions of innovation. There are good reasons ...