- The Florida Bar Seeks a Public Member to Serve on its Governing Board. Applications due Jan. 30.
- The Florida Bar Foundation is seeking applicants for six seats on its Board of Directors for terms starting July 2015 under the Florida Supreme Court-approved governance plan. Applications due Feb. 2.
- March appointments to be filled. Deadline for applications is Feb. 27.
The Florida Bar News
The Feb. 1 Bar News is now available with stories including:
- Bill Schifino in line to become Bar president.
- Florida lawyers feeling good about the economy.
- The Bar’s Practice Resource Institute’s website us up and running.
NOMINATING PETITIONS SOUGHT FOR BOARD OF GOVERNORS VACANCIES
- Executive Director John F. Harkness, Jr., has announced a vacancy on the Board of Governors of The Florida Bar due to the election of Seventh Circuit board member Sandra C. Upchurch as a Circuit Court Judge. Upchurch was finishing out a two-year term on the board that would have expired June 16, 2016. Nominating petitions for the vacancy must be filed with the office of the Executive Director on or before 5 p.m., Friday, February 13, 2015.
- Executive Director John F. Harkness, Jr., has announced a vacancy on the Board of Governors of The Florida Bar due to the election of Thirteenth Circuit board member William J. Schifino Jr. as President-elect Designate. Schifino was finishing out a two-year term on the board in Seat 1. Nominating petitions for the vacancy must be filed with the office of the Executive Director on or before 5 p.m., Monday, March 2, 2015.
The Florida Bar Journal
The January issue of The Florida Bar Journal is now available online, featuring articles on:
- Comparative fault
- Authenticating digital legal documents
- Protecting digital assets in estate planning
- Florida Commission on Access to Civil Justice and Florida's business leaders
Find a Lawyer
Daily News Summary
EDITORIAL: JUSTICE FOR SALEThe editorial addresses the case before the U.S. Supreme Court involving a state rule that restricts judicial candidates from personally sol...
IF 'HUSBAND' EQUALS 'SPOUSE,' SAME-SEX COUPLES CAN CLAIM THEIR BABIESPalm Beach County Circuit Judge Lisa Small replaced "husband" with "spouse" in two Florida laws to allow same-sex spouses to get legal recog...
'INJUSTICE PREVAILS WHERE HOPELESSNESS PERSISTS,' ATTORNEY SAYS AT LEGAL AID CEREMONYAttorney Bryan Stevenson was the keynote speaker at the Jacksonville Area Legal Aid's 16th annual Robert J. Beckham Equal Justice Awards Cel...