Legislature takes steps to rein in guardians
When an 89-year-old woman’s daughter called the abuse hotline with the magic words, “I think my sister should be guilty of elder abuse,” the system lurched into action. A guardian was appointed to oversee the affairs of the elderly woman, who still lives in her Siesta Key home.
Ad panel equates texts with prohibited direct solicitation
The Standing Committee on Advertising has denied a law firm permission to send texts to potential clients.
Court reviews lawyer referral service rules
Should The Florida Bar have recommended that lawyers not be allowed to join referral services that also refer callers to non-legal professional services, such as medical care or title insurance?
Reactions to USSC's Yulee decision
At oral arguments on January 20, U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts grilled Barry Richard, who was representing The Florida Bar and defending a state judicial canon prohibiting judicial candidates from directly soliciting in any form for campaign contributions.
Portal board green lights standardization plan
A plan to continue standardization for civil cases on the state court system’s efiling portal — so that menu options for a lawyer filing in Broward County are the same as when he or she files in Santa Rosa County — has been approved by the portal’s governing board.
Keep an eye out for Bar fee statement
Florida Bar members will soon receive their 2015-16 fee statements, reflecting no increase in annual fees, which are payable July 1 and late if postmarked after August 15.
- Foundation seeks Bar fee statement contributions
- Homeless teen turned Stanford grad to keynote Foundation dinner
- Tyree joins the board as a public member
- Weinstein and Patch receive Bar Journal writing award
- Court hears arguments on medical liens help
- Broward legal aid honors volunteers
- Florida Coastal hosts May Citizenship Day
- Audit Summary of The Florida Bar
- Legislative session's early end dooms bills
- Stines ranked fourth in the world
- Cooley partners with HAWL for mentoring
- Caribbean Bar Association leads a series of conversations on diversity
- Online career counseling available
- Trouble with Medicaid Managed Care? Hit the 'complaint' button
- Murray & Guari work to prevent unsafe driving
- Lawyers spruce up the Manatee Children's Services Group Home and Shelter
- Amendments to the family law forms
- Amendments to the juvenile rules
- Smith petitions for reinstatement
- Garcia-Riveiro seek Bar reinstatement
- Palentchar petitions for Bar reinstatement
Florida Bar Resources
Annual Reports of The Florida Bar
Annual Reports of Sections and Divisions of The Florida Bar
Annual Reports of Committees of The Florida Bar
THIS PAST WINTER, Florida Bar member Ken Lawson, secretary of the Department of Business and Professional Regulation in Tallahassee, attempted to summit Mt. Washington in New Conway, New Hampshire.
Is your Bar contact information up to date?
With the advent of e-filing, e-service, and e-noticing, it is more important than ever for Bar members to keep their official Bar contact information current.
PETER DENNIS OF FT. MYERS provides legal advice at the Lee County Bar Association’s Law in the Mall event at the Edison Mall in Dillards’ Courtyard.
On the Move
Advanced Labor Topics 2015
Course Classification: Advanced Level, May 29, Ritz Carlton Sarasota.
Florida, Same-Sex marriage, RPPTL and the U.S. Supreme Court: Finality, Futility or Both
Classification: Intermediate Level, Live and Webcast Presentation: Friday, June 5, Fountainebleau Miami Beach
Basic Insurance Law 2015
Course Classification: Basic Level, Live Presentation: Friday, May 29, Tampa Airport Marriott.
Environmental and Land Use Law Audio Webcast Series 2015
Course Classification: Intermediate Level, Dates, June 11, 2015, 12:00 noon - 1:00pm est