Miami's Bass to lead the ABA
Hilarie Bass of Miami assumed the role of president-elect of the ABA at the conclusion of the ABA Annual Meeting in San Francisco.
Board sets priorities
With six action items for the coming year, the Board of Governors has approved the Bar’s 2016-19 strategic plan. President Bill Schifino presented the plan at the board’s July 29 meeting and said the annual strategic planning retreat, held last April, did not make any changes to the five main objectives of the strategic plan but did identify six issues that could be addressed immediately by the board.
All across the United States on August 3 around 1:30 p.m., 214 inmates were summoned from their cells in federal prisons and taken to rooms to wait for phone calls. They weren’t told why, and usually phone calls bring bad news — like the death of a family member. But this time, the news was good: “You’re going home.”
Gov. Scott encourages Floridians to apply for the Constitution Revision Commission
Gov. Rick Scott announced that the Governor’s Office will begin accepting applications for the Florida Constitution Revision Commission.
Guide for Florida Voters now available in Spanish
The Guide for Florida Voters, an informative brochure about judicial elections in the state, is now available in Spanish (Guía para los Votantes de la Florida) through the Cuban American Bar Association.
Rep. Edwards delves into criminal issues affecting kids
As a former executive director of the Dade County Farm Bureau, Rep. Katie Edwards, D-Sunrise, might seem an unlikely prospect to lead the charge for reforming laws under which juveniles can be charged as adults — also known as direct filing — in criminal court.
Bar eyes expanding house counsel rule
Attorneys admitted or otherwise authorized in other countries could act as authorized house counsel for
companies located in Florida under Bar rule amendments approved by the Board of Governors.
- FAMU's legal interns get their day in court
- Circuit Judge Blake honored with the Award for Judicial Excellence
- Imhof becomes the Bar's general counsel
- Free Benchmarks program offered
- Bar reduces bond holdings, ups equities
- Board briefed on fiscal outlook
- WMU-Cooley Law students donate a truck full of food
- Bowers named 'Tax Attorney of the Year'
- Bar board considers time standards for email service
- PEC to review Bar programs
- Bar board makes five appointments
- Lee, Rose join the Florida Board of Bar Examiners
- Dade County Bar plans professionalism seminar
- It's financial disclosure season
- Orlando United free workshop and wills clinic benefit Pulse survivors, their families, and the community-at-large
- Annual Florida Bar rules proposals
- Workers' comp judges apply for reappointment
- Proposed board actions
- Amendments to Jury instructions in civil cases
Florida Bar Resources
The Florida Bar Journal
Florida Bar member Charles D. Michel was promoted to the rank of four-star admiral in the U.S. Coast Guard. As vice commandant, Michel oversees the Coast Guard’s operations, strategic development, organizational governance, and management of the service’s more than 58,000 employees and 30,000 volunteers.
WM. REECE SMITH, JR., LEADERSHIP ACADEMY fellows, above, participate in a team-building exercise when they met recently during the Voluntary Bar Leaders Conference in Naples.
On the Move
2016 PAT DORE CONFERENCE "Hail to the APA!"
Course Classification: Intermediate Level One Location Friday October 7, Hotel Duval, Tallahassee.
42nd Annual Public Employment Labor Relations Forum
Course Classification: Intermediate Level, October 21-22, 2016 Rosen Shingle Creek, 9939 Universal Blvd., Orlando.
8th Annual FUNdamentals: The Legal Implications of the "Internet of Things"
Course Classification: Advanced Level, One Location: September 16, Rosen Centre Hotel, 9840 International Drive, Orlando 32819.
Hot Topics in Employment Law
Course Classification: Intermediate Level, One Location: September 22-23, The Ritz-Carlton Golf Resort, Naples.
Advanced Income Tax Planning for Family Business: The In's Out's and All About's
Course Classification: Advanced Level, The Vinoy® Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club, October 14.