During the General Assembly at the Bar’s Annual Convention, outgoing President Eugene Pettis honored the following lawyers with President’s Awards of Merit:
* Jay Cohen, the senior partner in The Law Office of Jay Cohen, P.A., Trial Attorneys in Ft. Lauderdale. He has been on the Board of Governors since 2008 and has chaired board committees for Legislation, Program Evaluation, Budget, and Disciplinary Review.
“For your outstanding leadership of the Vision 2016 Commission and the Board of Governors Legislation Committee and for your service on The Florida Bar Board of Governors. Your contributions deserve the highest commendation and abundant gratitude. ”
* Renée Thompson, a partner at Mateer & Harbert, P.A., practicing in the Ocala office as a civil litigator handling commercial litigation and equine law matters. “For extraordinary service and dedication as chair of the Wm. Reece Smith, Jr., Leadership Academy Committee, 2013-2014.Your dedicated efforts to shape my vision of the Leadership Academy program into an outstanding opportunity for Florida Bar members is deserving of the legal profession’s highest respect and appreciation.”
* Grier Wells, a shareholder in the Jacksonville office of Gray Robinson, Attorneys at Law, where he practices trial law and has been on the Board of Governors since 2002. “For your wealth of leadership on a multitude of issues, particularly the Clients’ Security Fund administration, and for your years of dedicated service and many contributions as a member of The Florida Bar Board of Governors from 2002 – 2014. Your contributions deserve the highest commendation and abundant gratitude.”
* Frank Scruggs, a partner with Berger Singerman in Ft. Lauderdale, where he litigates employment and commercial disputes, including class actions, and advises companies and executives regarding employment law compliance. For extraordinary leadership as chair of The Florida Bar President’s Special Task Force to Study Enhancement of Diversity in the Judiciary and on the JNCs, and for your legacy of public service to our Bar and to the citizens of Florida. Your dedication is deserving of the legal profession’s highest respect and appreciation.”
* Annie Sasso, daughter of BOG member Andy Sasso and Robyn Sasso, recipient of a Special President’s Award. “These days we rush through our lives and don’t take time to realize that there are some individuals who truly make our lives special. We stay so busy with work and meetings and events that, very often, we really need to pause and recognize the angels among us. For the past eight years that I have served on the board, there has been an angel among us at every meeting and I pause now as a privilege of my presidency to give her an award. She has been a wonderful friend to me and to Sheila and so many others.” Her trophy says: “For your friendship, your encouragement, and your inspiration to all members of The Florida Bar Board of Governors.”