Voluntary Bar Association Diversity Leadership Grants are administered by the Diversity and Inclusion Committee.
The purpose of this Voluntary Bar Association grant program is to support initiatives and programs that encourage diversity, diversity training and dialogue among lawyers in Florida through financial support of conferences, seminars, summits and symposia planned and hosted by local and specialty Bar Associations.
A total of $50,000 is available to award to Voluntary Bar Associations with individual grants up to $1,500 and up to $3,000 to multiple Voluntary Bars working together on a project. Bar associations are limited to one application/project per year. Programs should not be used as a replacement for the organizations’ programs. Voluntary Bar Associations can submit (1) single or joint application for funding during the grant period.
Grants will be awarded to underwrite multi-hour, half-day, full-day or multi-day diversity conferences designed to:
- Foster an inclusive environment in which lawyers, regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability are motivated to succeed professionally and contribute to the goals of their profession; and/or
- Increase knowledge and awareness of diversity and cultural competency; and/or
- Increase effort in support of gender equality efforts of the Florida Bar; and/or
- Increase participation, retention and representation in local and specialty Voluntary Bars; and/or
- Improve diversity in legal education, employment, the judiciary and The Florida Bar.
- Applicants must be Voluntary Bar Associations headquartered and operating in Florida.
- The project described in the grant application and the request for funding must have received approval by the Voluntary Bar Association’s governing board.
- The project for which funds are requested must be educational in nature and open for attendance by Florida Bar members, legal paraprofessionals and Florida law school students.
- Voluntary Bar Associations must provide one free full admissions to Bar staff.
Applications are now being accepted for 2023-2024 Diversity Leadership Grants. All programs must be held and a final summary report received within the program year of July 1, 2023 through June 30, 2024. Upon fund availability a second round program funding may be held in Spring 2024. The application deadline was Oct. 13, 2023.
Diversity Leadership Grant application – Section 2 will be issued to all successful applicants at the time of award.