Voluntary Bar Association Diversity Leadership Grants are administered by the Diversity and Inclusion Committee.
The purpose of this Voluntary Bar Association grant program is to support initiatives and programs that encourage diversity, diversity training and dialogue among lawyers in Florida through financial support of conferences, seminars, summits and symposia planned and hosted by local and specialty Bar Associations.
A total of $50,000 is available to award to Voluntary Bar Associations with individual grants up to $1,500 and up to $3,000 to multiple Voluntary Bars working together on a project. Bar associations are limited to one application/project per year. Programs should not be used as a replacement for the organizations’ programs. Voluntary Bar Associations can submit (1) single or joint application for funding during the grant period.
Grants will be awarded to underwrite multi-hour, half-day, full-day or multi-day diversity conferences designed to:
- Foster an inclusive environment in which lawyers, regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability are motivated to succeed professionally and contribute to the goals of their profession; and/or
- Increase knowledge and awareness of diversity and cultural competency; and/or
- Increase effort in support of gender equality efforts of the Florida Bar; and/or
- Increase participation, retention and representation in local and specialty Voluntary Bars; and/or
- Improve diversity in legal education, employment, the judiciary and The Florida Bar.
- Applicants must be Voluntary Bar Associations headquartered and operating in Florida.
- The project described in the grant application and the request for funding must have received approval by the Voluntary Bar Association’s governing board.
- The project for which funds are requested must be educational in nature and open for attendance by Florida Bar members, legal paraprofessionals and Florida law school students.
- Voluntary Bar Associations must provide one free full admissions to Bar staff.
Applications are now being accepted for 2022-2023 Diversity Leadership Grants. To be considered for this grant cycle, the applicant VBAs proposed program must be scheduled to take place during the grant cycle beginning July 1, 2022 and ending June 30, 2023.
Grant applications must be completed, signed, and submitted by e-mail on or before May 27, 2022. Grant recipients for the 2022-2023 grant cycle will be announced at the Henry T. Latimer Inclusion Luncheon held during The Florida Bar Annual Convention scheduled to take place June 23, 2022.
Diversity Leadership Grant application – Section 2 will be issued to all successful applicants at the time of award.
2021-2022 Diversity Leadership Grantees
|10th Judicial Circuit, Polk County Trial Lawyers Association, Highlands County Bar Association|
|Central Florida Association for Women Lawyers, Paul C. Perkins Bar Association|
|Central Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers|
|Clearwater Bar Association|
|D.W. Perkins Bar Association|
|Eighth Judicial Circuit Bar Association, Josiah T. Walls Bar Association, 8th Circuit Florida Association of Women Lawyers|
|Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers|
|Florida Association of Women Lawyers|
|Florida Association of Women Lawyers, Third Circuit Local Chapter|
|Greater Orlando Asian American Bar Association|
|Hillsborough Association of Women Lawyers Government Attorneys|
|Hillsborough County Bar Association YLD, WMU Cooley Law School|
|Hillsborough County Bar Association, George Edgecomb Bar Association, Hillsborough Association of Women Lawyers|
|Jacksonville Bar Association|
|Jacksonville Women Lawyers Association|
|Lake County Bar Association YLD|
|Manatee County Bar Association|
|Marion County Bar Association|
|Martin County Bar Association|
|Martin County Women Lawyers Association|
|National Black Prosecutors Association, Hillsborough County Bar Association|
|Orange County Bar Association|
|Palm Beach County Bar Association|
|Palm Beach County Chapter of Florida Association of Women Lawyers|
|Sarasota County Bar Association Diversity & Inclusion Committee|
|South Asian Bar Association|
|St Petersburg Bar Association|
|T.J. Reddick Bar Association, Gwen S. Cherry Black Women Lawyers Association|
|Tallahassee Bar Association, Tallahassee Barristers Association|
|Tallahassee Bar Association, Tallahassee Barristers Association, Tallahassee Women Lawyers|
|Virgil Hawkins Florida Chapter National Bar Association|