The Florida Bar
  1. Home
  2. About The Bar
  3. Florida Registered Paralegals
  4. Florida Registered Paralegal Program

Florida Registered Paralegal Program

FRP logoA Florida Registered Paralegal (FRP) is a paralegal who has met the education, training, certification and work experience required for voluntary registration as set forth in Chapter 20 of the Rules Regulating the Florida Bar. The Florida Registered Paralegal Eligibility and Compliance Committee is charged with assisting in the implementation and administration of the program. Email staff with questions or call 850-561-5793.

Visit the FRP corner for announcements, news and resources.

Apply to Become an FRP

To be registered as an FRP, candidates must meet one of the eligibility requirements, complete the application and pay a $145 fee. Qualifying criteria can be education and work experience, or certification and work experience. With either qualifying criteria, employing/supervision attorney(s) must complete the attorney attestation form. Read the FRP frequently asked questions for more information about registration.

Apply and Pay Online

FRP Attorney Attestation Form

Applicants may also download and complete a PDF application. A $145 check made payable to The Florida Bar must accompany the application. Mail completed application and payment to:

The Florida Bar
Florida Registered Paralegal Program
651 E. Jefferson St.
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-2325

Download PDF Application

Application Checklist (it it not necessary to mail the checklist with your application)

Qualification and Registration FAQ

Do I have to register to work as a paralegal in Florida?

No, registration is voluntary. You may continue to work as a paralegal without registering.

Why should I register?

The criteria for becoming a Florida Registered Paralegal are above and beyond what is required to do paralegal work in Florida. FRPs must also take 30 hours of continuing education every three years to maintain their status. These distinctions help set FRPs apart from their peers.

What is the registration deadline?

There is no deadline.

I took some CE courses prior to applying to be an FRP. Can I submit those hours as CE?

No. Only courses taken after your registration date count towards the 30-hour CE requirement.

How do I find out if my degree is from an accredited institution?

The degree has to be from an institution accredited by a nationally recognized accrediting agency approved by the United States Department of Education or the Florida Department of Education. You may contact your school to determine whether they meet the requirement or check the government websites.

How can I check to see if my paralegal degree is an approved paralegal program?

I have a degree from a foreign country. Can I use that degree to meet the eligibility requirements?

No. Under the rule, your degree must come from a United States institution that meets the requirements of the rule. The degree must be an associate’s, bachelor’s or juris doctor degree.

I am using education and work experience as my qualifying criteria. Do you need a certified copy of my degree?

No. We need a copy of your degree or transcript, but it does not have to be a certified copy.

Is verification from the National Student Clearinghouse sufficient evidence of my degree?


Is a certificate in paralegal studies the same as a degree?

No. To meet the educational requirement for FRP status, you must have an associate’s degree or higher.

I have a paralegal certificate from a university. Do I meet the certification criteria on the application?

No. You must be certified by National Association of Legal Assistants (NALA) or National Federation of Paralegal Associations (NFPA) and currently working as a paralegal to meet the certification qualifying criteria.

I have worked for my current supervising attorney for two years but I need four years to qualify. Can my current employing attorney fill out the attorney attestation for my prior paralegal experience?

No. Your current employing attorney can only attest to the two years you’ve been working for him/her. You will need your former employer(s) to attest to your paralegal work experience while working for them.

I have worked for several attorneys. How many attestation forms do I need?

You need one form for each attorney that you have worked for during the years you are using to qualify.

Can an Authorized House Counsel attest to my work experience?

Yes, a Florida Bar Authorized Counsel in good standing can attest to your work. Chapter 20 of the Rules Regulating The Florida Bar specifically states: An employing or supervising lawyer is a member of The Florida Bar, authorized house counsel, foreign legal consultant, or military lawyer, as defined in the Rules Regulating The Florida Bar, having direct supervision over the work product of the paralegal or Florida Registered Paralegal.

I am trying to qualify based on education and work experience. Can I use my paralegal work experience in another state when calculating my work experience?

No. Only paralegal work experience under the supervision of a member of The Florida Bar counts toward the work experience requirement. If you were working for a member of The Florida Bar in the other state, you can count that paralegal work experience. If you were not working for a member of The Florida Bar, you cannot count that paralegal work experience.

Is there a minimum number of hours I must work to meet the qualifications?

To qualify, you must be primarily performing paralegal work. Time spent performing clerical work is specifically excluded.

The application asks for the number of hours I have performed paralegal work. Is this billable hours only?

No. Include the total number of hours you have worked in the past year performing paralegal work, whether billable or not.

One of the attorneys I worked for is deceased. Without an attestation from the years that I worked for that attorney, I do not meet the eligibility requirements. What can I do?

First, we need the name of the deceased attorney. If there was an inventory attorney appointed, you can submit an attestation from the inventory attorney. The inventory attorney would have access to the deceased attorney’s files and would be able to determine whether you primarily provided paralegal services. Second, if there is no inventory attorney, you can provide an attestation from someone else in the firm with knowledge of your employment.

I am an independent paralegal. I provide services to attorneys and to the public. May I register as a Florida Registered Paralegal?

No, you may not register as a Florida Registered Paralegal. In addition, you may not use the title paralegal in providing services directly to the public. Doing so constitutes the unlicensed practice of law.

I am not currently working as a paralegal. Can I still register as a Florida Registered Paralegal?

No, to be registered as a Florida Registered Paralegal you must currently be working as a paralegal for a member of The Florida Bar and primarily performing paralegal duties.

Can I get a refund of my application fee if my application is rejected?

The fee is nonrefundable regardless of disposition.

Continuing education (CE) is an important component of the Florida Registered Paralegal program and necessary to maintain the status of an FRP. FRPs can take any course offered by The Florida Bar for attorneys and earn CE credit for it. The FRP Enrichment Committee offers monthly free CLE. Also visit LegalFuel’s extensive catalog of free CLE courses, browse for courses on the Portal or search the on-demand and downloadable CLE catalog.

Frequently Asked CE Questions

What is the CE requirement for FRPs?

Rule 20-6.1 requires 30 total hours of continuing education each cycle (three years) to maintain FRP status. Of the 30 hours, five (5) hours must be in ethics or professionalism and three (3) hours in technology. FRPs do not have to meet a Basic Skills Course requirement. FRPs can earn CE credit for any course offered by The Florida Bar for attorneys.

Can I reapply if my registration was revoked for failure to complete the CE requirement?

Yes. To be eligible for re-registration, you must complete at least 10 hours of CE for each year the previously registered. The hours must be completed prior to the re-registration application and proof of completion must accompany your application.

How do I post my CE credits?

Log in to the Member Portal and select “CE Status” under Additional Links in the left-hand column. Then select “Post CE Credit” and follow the prompts.

How do I know how many total hours I have of credit?

Log in to the Member Portal and select “CE Status” under Additional Links in the left-hand column. You’ll see how many hours are required, claimed, and remaining.

I took a seven hour course; five hours were ethics and two were general credit. How do I enter the course?

You enter seven (7) hours for the course under General and five (5)  hours under Ethics.

I made a mistake in an entry. Can I delete it or correct it?

Neither FRPs nor Florida Bar staff can correct mistakes in a CE record. If you need an entry deleted, send us an email with your FRP number and the name and date of the course. We will delete the course. Once you see the entry has been removed (please allow a reasonable amount of time), you will need to reenter it.

If I take more than 30 hours, will the extra hours roll over to the next reporting cycle?

No. Once you have met your CE requirement within your cycle, you don’t have to post additional credits.

I took a course the vendor said was approved by the Bar. When I went to post my credits, the portal said the course number was invalid. What do I do?

If the course is sponsored by someone other than The Florida Bar, you will have to call the Legal Specialization and Education Department at 850-561-5842 to determine whether their course has been approved by The Florida Bar.

If you have taken a course that has not been approved by The Florida Bar, you may be able to have the National Association of Legal Assistants (NALA) or the National Federation of Paralegal Associations (NFPA) NALA approve the course and receive credit if you are one of their members.

Will I get a letter once I have completed my 30 hours of CEs?

No, but you will receive an automated email confirming completion of the requirement.

Is there a grace period for posting my CE credits after the reporting cycle ends?

No. You must post all your CE credits no later than the last day of your reporting cycle.

How do I know when my three-year cycle starts and ends?

Log in to the Member Portal. Your reporting cycle is listed on your record.

I just attended a Florida Bar seminar and was told that my credits would be automatically posted. I checked my CE history and don’t see the course posted. What happened?

You got some bad information! The Florida Bar does not post CE credits. You will need to post your credits via the Member Portal.

Can I watch DVDs or listen to CDs my attorney has purchased and get CE credit for it?

Yes, but make sure the course has not expired. The expiration date is on the program.

FRP Membership FAQ

What is the annual renewal fee and when is it due?

The annual renewal fee is $150. Generally, it is due July 1 of each year and considered late after August 15. If late, a $40 late fee is added. If the renewal and late fees are not paid by October 1, your FRP status will be revoked. If any of these dates fall on a Saturday or Sunday, the date is extended to the following Monday.

The annual renewal statements are mailed at the end of May or beginning of June. If you are registered as an FRP prior to the date the renewals are mailed, you will be mailed a renewal statement. For example, if you are registered May 1, you will be mailed a renewal statement and must pay the renewal fee to keep your FRP status. Your renewal fee is different from your application fee. Even if you paid your application fee close to the date your renewal fee is due, you will need to pay the renewal fee to keep your FRP status.

Can I pay my annual renewal fee in installments?

Only if you are employed by a federal, state or local government.

How to I get a password for the Member Portal?

Navigate to the Member Portal. When you see the login screen, select “forgot my password.” When prompted enter your email address (this is your username) and click “reset password.” You’ll receive an email shortly thereafter. Follow the instructions in the email to create your password.

Once I am registered, what designation may I use?

The rule provides that “[a] Florida Registered Paralegal shall disclose his or her status as a Florida Registered Paralegal at the outset of any professional relationship with a client, attorneys, a court or administrative agency or personnel thereof, and members of the general public.” You may either say Florida Registered Paralegal or FRP. However, if you state FRP, you must also state paralegal. For example:

Doe, FRP
Law Office

I am certified by another organization, too. When listing credentials, which do I put first?

You should check with the other organization. The Florida Bar rule does not control the order. However, if you use FRP, you must include the word Paralegal.

Can my old firm update my profile with my new address?

No. Only you can change your address. If we receive correspondence from a third party that your address has changed, we cannot make the change. You are responsible for keeping your address up to date.

What if I have a name change after I have registered as an FRP?

You can email or mail us a copy of your divorce decree, marriage license or I.D. card showing the name change.

Can I reapply if I am revoked for nonpayment of fees?

Yes. You must submit a new application along with $145 nonrefundable fee.

If I lose my job, can I maintain my FRP status?

No. You must notify The Florida Bar that you are no longer working. When you obtain future employment, you can submit a new application and $145 nonrefundable fee.

What type of benefits are FRPs eligible for?

FRPs are eligible for the same benefits offered to attorneys.

Member Benefits logo

Member benefits available to members of The Florida Bar are also available to Florida Registered Paralegals. For most benefits, contact the vendor directly with a discount code or notify them that you are eligible for The Florida Bar discount.

To use Fastcase, you need a username and password. Your username is your FRP number and your Member Portal password is your Fastcase password.

If you don’t have or can’t remember your Member Portal password, navigate to the Member Portal. When you see the login screen, select “forgot my password.” When prompted enter your email address (this is your username) and click “reset password.” You’ll receive an email shortly thereafter. Follow the instructions in the email to create your password.

We invite you to take advantage of these member benefits. This is just another way The Florida Bar recognizes your achievement of becoming an FRP.