Guidelines for a Qualifying Provider or Lawyer Referral Service’s Statement of Qualifications and Experience
Rule 4-7.18(b)(2)(C) requires that every written communication to a prospective client be accompanied by a factual statement detailing the background, training, and experience of the lawyers to whom the recipient may be referred.
The Standing Committee on Advertising has determined that the following ordinarily must be included in the statement of qualifications:
- The number of attorneys participating in the lawyer referral service.
- The areas of practice of the participating attorneys available for potential clients to choose from.
- For each area of practice, the number of participating attorneys who practice in that area, together with a range of years of experience of those attorneys in that area of practice.
- If advertising for matters that may end up in trial, a range of the number of similar cases actually tried by participating attorneys.
- The minimum requirements the referral service has established for membership in the service.
- The length of time the referral service has been in existence.
- Geographic locations of attorneys participating in the lawyer referral service.
Finally, the statement of qualifications must be clearly legible. Rule 4-7.12(d). If the advertisement appears in a language other than English, the statement of qualifications must appear in that language. Rule 4-7.12(c).