Special Appointments by the Board of Governors
The Board of Governors makes several appointments each year. Current openings include:
Vacancies to be filled in May
Deadline to apply: Monday, March 26
- Lawyer applicants are being sought to fill three vacancies on the Florida Board of Bar Examiners, the administrative agency of the Supreme Court of Florida that handles matters of bar admission. The nominations will then be forwarded to the Supreme Court to fill three five-year terms commencing Nov. 1, 2018, and expiring on Oct. 31, 2023.
- Members of the public are invited to volunteer one three-year term on the Florida Board of Bar Examiners. The vacancy will occur on Nov. 1, 2018.
- Two lawyers to serve four-year terms on the Supreme Court’s Commission on Professionalism & Civility, commencing July 1, 2018.
Deadline to apply: Monday, April 9
- Two lawyers (one under-36 delegate) to serve two-year terms on the American Bar Association House of Delegates commencing August 2018, at the conclusion of the ABA Annual Meeting. Applicants must also be ABA members.
- Five lawyers to serve two-year terms on the Florida Legal Services, Inc. Board of Directors commencing July 1, 2018. This is a 21-member board that provides judicial advocacy through co-counseling with local program attorneys and volunteer pro bono attorneys and provides legislative and administrative advocacy on policies impacting the legal rights of the poor, as well as providing civil legal assistance to indigent persons who would not otherwise have the means to obtain a lawyer.
- Five lawyers to serve three-year terms on the Florida Lawyers Assistance, Inc. Board of Directors commencing July 1, 2018. This 15-member Board assists the legal community in securing counseling and treatment for emotional and chemical dependency problems for lawyers.
- One lawyer to serve a two-year term on the Florida Medical Malpractice Joint Underwriting Association Board of Governors commencing July 1, 2018. This is a nine-member board of governors that develops a means of obtaining loss and expense experience in medical malpractice issues.
Visit our Board Special Appointments page to download the Application for Special Appointment as well as the schedule for these appointments and latest announcements.