CALL FOR NOMINATIONS FOR 28TH ANNUAL FLORIDA BAR REPORTERS’ WORKSHOP
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 18, 2017
CONTACT: Dorohn A. Frazier; [email protected],
The Florida Bar
TALLAHASSEE – The 28th Annual Florida Bar Reporters' Workshop will be held in Tallahassee on Oct. 16 and 17. This intensive two-day event is designed for 24 print, online, TV and radio journalists who are new to the courts and legal beats, or new to Florida. The workshop is presented by The Florida Bar’s Media and Communications Law Committee.
Workshop scholarships cover two nights' hotel accommodations and workshop meals. Travel expenses and incidentals are the responsibility of the participant or the participant's employer.
Reporters attending will learn about legal reporting and covering the state courts from lawyers, judges and experienced journalists. Topics include:
· Effective Techniques of Reporting the High-Profile Case
· Benchmarks – Every 20 years: Florida’s Constitution Revision Commission
· Fake News – Who’s reliable? Who’s not? Discussion regarding traditional and non-traditional news; why fake news survives and how the 2016 election brought this to light
· Implicit Bias: What is it and how do you measure it?
· Public records access: How to get the records you need
· Merit retention in Florida
Nominations must be made by editors, publishers or news directors and include information on the journalist's background, current assignments and contact information.
Please send nominations for receipt by 5 p.m. Friday, Aug. 25, to The Florida Bar Public Information Department by email ([email protected]), fax (850-561-9429) or mail Reporters’ Workshop, The Florida Bar, 651 E. Jefferson St., Tallahassee, FL 32399.
The selection process will be completed by early September, and those selected for participation will be notified by email.
EDITORS: Please note The Florida Bar is not an association and "Association" is not part of our name. Proper reference is "The Florida Bar." Local bar organizations are properly termed "associations."