The Florida Bar News
Wm. Reese Smith, Jr., Leadership Academy may come close. In five years more than 200 academy graduates have already gone on to serve as judges, Florida Bar Board of Governors members, Young Lawyers Division board members, voluntary bar leaders, community organization leaders, and more. Now, two academy graduates are about to command The Florida Bar’s Leadership Academy Committee — in a sense, leading the institution that honed their leadership skills.
Puerto Rican Bar of Florida works with displaced lawyers
The Puerto Rican Bar Association of Florida is turning the tables on Hurricane Maria by hiring displaced Puerto Rican attorneys to help displaced Puerto Rican storm victims — and others — at legal clinics for the poor in Miami and Orlando.
Why are women lawyers leaving the profession?
For almost 30 years, women have been graduating from law school in roughly equal numbers to men, yet they are leaving the profession in droves. Why? To answer that question, ABA President Hilarie Bass of Miami launched “Achieving Long-Term Careers for Women in Law,” an initiative that features research on legal careers using life-cycle models from the fields of sociology, social psychology, and economics.
Professionalism trending 'in the right direction'
As he prepares for mandatory retirement at the end of the year, Florida Supreme Court Justice Fred Lewis says he is encouraged by the progress of a statewide effort to raise the level of professionalism in Florida’s legal community.
- Gov. Scott makes JNC appointments
- Presidential Perspectives: Burton Young -- 1970
- Letter to a law school graduate
- MacKenzie named Bar Foundation's executive director
- Slesnick earns Lifetime Achievement Award
- Voluntary Bar leaders summit held in Tampa
- It's financial disclosure season
- RJA works to make remote testimony easier
- RJA panel considers changing its name
- Supreme Court takes questions at Annual Convention
- Leesfield supports Fatherhood Task Force of South Florida
- Cypen, Bourassa honored with Foundation's Curran Awards
- Judge Pitts honored for professionalism
- Amendments to Family Law Forms
- Amendments to Family Law Forms dealing with paternity and child support
- Amendments to Family Law Forms dealing with domestic violence, stalking
- Amendments to jury instructions dealing with employment actions
- Proposed amendments to Florida Family Law Rule od Procedure 12.407 (Testimony and Attendance of Minor Child)
- 11th Circuit has a circuit judge opening
- 17th Circuit needs a judge
- 14th Circuit has a judicial opening
Florida Bar Resources
July 15, 2018
Bar again looks at search engine optimization techniques
The Bar is once again considering rules to address search engine optimization techniques, and the challenge they pose for keeping lawyer advertising honest and above board. Digital marketing tools like Google AdWords give attorneys the power to target their advertising to any consumer who types a competitor’s name into a search engine. Critics contend the practice is inherently misleading.
Most Read News Stories
On the Move THE ANIMAL LAW SECTION recently presented the 2018 “Rikki Mitchell Memorial Animal Achievement Award” to Shiraz for her tireless work as a cadaver dog in the forensic, archeological, and historic realms. She helped locate numerous graves in cemeteries in Florida and Georgia.
Annual Attorney/Trust Officer Liaison Conference |
August 24-25, The Breakers Palm Beach.
Legal Emergencies in Health Care 2018
September 14, 8:15 AM - 4:30 PM, Hilton Cocoa Beach Oceanfront