The Florida Bar

Immigration Law

December 12, 2022

In the United States, federal law governs who may enter the United States, how long they may stay, and what they are permitted to do while in the United States (ex: working).

Immigration benefits and enforcement is administered by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Prior to 2003 this organization was known as the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).

Under U.S. Immigration law, persons are either U.S. Citizens/Nationals or Aliens. Aliens can be lawful permanent residents (green card holders) or nonimmigrant visa holders.

Typical immigration services that an attorney can help with include:

  • E-2 Visa
  • Green Card
  • H-1B Visa
  • H-1B Visa Transfer
  • H-2B VIsa
  • Immigration Consultation
  • J-1 Visa
  • L Visa
  • O Visa
  • TN Visa

Changes may occur in this area of law. The information provided is brought to you as a public service, and is intended to help you better understand the law in general. It is not intended to be legal advice regarding your particular problem or substitute for the advice of a lawyer.