Create a Drop-Down List in Excel« Back to Tech Tips
If you have repetitive entries in an Excel spreadsheet, using a dropdown list can be a great time saver. And thankfully, they are very easy to create!
Let’s say you are working on a list of matter types and you want to limit entries in a column to Litigation, Real Estate or Family – no other entries are allowed. Here are some simple steps to get you there.
- While in the Excel sheet that you are working in, select the column or specific cells where you want to control the entries.
- Now, go to the Data tab and look for the ‘Data Validation” button in the Data Tools section.
- From the “Allow” dropdown list, select “List”
- Add all the entries you would like, separating them by commas and using the punctuation you would like, as so…
- Click OK to get to work. You will see a small down-ward point arrow to the right of the cell that has data validation applied. From there, you can either click and pick from the list or type in a valid entry.