Mac Users: Password Protect a PDF Using Preview« Back to Tech Tips
You can easily secure PDF with a password directly from Preview.
- Open a PDF file in Preview
- Go to File > Save As.
- Look for a checkbox labeled, “Encrypt.” Click the box to be prompted to enter a password to protect the file.
- At this point you can also type in a new name to create a copy and keep the original PDF unencrypted.
- Use a complex password (letters, numbers, or a combination of both) and type it a second time to verify (the icon of the file now show a lock, signifying that it is encrypted).
- When this PDF file is opened on any other device or platform, an “Enter Password” screen will appear.
To remove a password later, simply repeat the process (open the PDF and export it again) but uncheck the “Encrypt” box. This will turn off the encryption option.
« Back to Tech Tips