43 lawyers now serve in the Florida Legislature
When the first interim committee week of the 2020 legislative session convenes September 16 in Tallahassee, lawyers will be poised once again to play a key role in the citizen Legislature.
Of the 160 men and women who make up the Florida Legislature, 43 — nearly 27% — are attorneys.
Senate President Bill Galvano, R-Bradenton, will remain the highest-ranking attorney in the Florida Legislature when he gavels in the final regular session of his presidency on January 14.
Another prominent attorney, Sen. Rob Bradley, R-Orange Park, chairs the Senate Appropriations Committee. Sen. David Simmons, R-Seminole, is another attorney who chairs the Senate Judiciary Committee.
The House is helmed by a South Florida business executive, Speaker Jose Oliva, R-Miami Lakes. His Appropriations Committee chair is Rep. Travis Cummings, R-Flemming Island, another business executive.
But attorneys are sprinkled through Oliva’s leadership team, including Rep. Chris Sprowls, R-Palm Harbor, who chairs the House Rules Committee, and Rep. Paul Renner, R-Palm Coast, who chairs the House Judiciary Committee.
In all, there are 11 lawyers in the 40-member Florida Senate and 32 lawyers in the 120-member House.
The following are Florida’s attorney/legislators in the House:
• Rep. Vance Aloupis, R-South Miami.
• Rep. Alex Andrade, R-Pensacola.
• Rep. Loranne Ausley, D-Tallahassee.
• Rep. Mike Beltran, R-Valrico.
• Rep. Cord Byrd, R-Jacksonville Beach.
• Rep. Ben Diamond, D-St. Petersburg.
• Rep. Fentrice Driskell, D-Tampa.
• Rep. Wyman Duggan, R-Jacksonville.
• Rep. Nick Duran, D-Miami.
• Rep. Javier Fernandez, D-Coral Gables.
• Rep. Juan Fernandez-Barquin, R-Miami.
• Rep Heather Fitzenhagen, R-Ft. Myers.
• Rep. Joe Geller, D-Dania Beach.
• Rep. Joy Goff-Marcil, D-Maitland.
• Rep. Margaret Good, D-Sarasota.
• Rep. Mike Gottlieb, D-Plantation.
• Rep. Erin Grall, R-Vero Beach.
• Rep. Jamie Grant, R-Tampa.
• Rep. Tommy Gregory, R-Bradenton.
• Rep. Michael Grieco, D-North Bay Village.
• Rep. Al Jacquet, D- Mangonia Park.
• Rep. Dotie Joseph, D-Miami.
• Rep. Tom Leek, R-Daytona.
• Rep. Kionne McGhee, D-Cutler Bay.
• Rep. Danny Perez, R-Miami.
• Rep. Tina Polsky, D-Boca Raton.
• Rep. Paul Renner, R-Palm Coast.
• Rep. Spencer Roach, R-North Ft. Myers.
• Rep. Will Robinson, R-Bradenton.
• Rep. Anthony Sabatini, R-Deltona.
• Rep. Emily Slosberg, D-Delray Beach.
• Rep. Chris Sprowls, R-Clearwater.
The following are Florida’s attorney/legislators in the Senate:
• Sen. Lori Berman, D-Boynton Beach.
• Sen. Rob Bradley, R-Orange Park.
• Sen. Gary Farmer, D-Ft. Lauderdale.
• Sen. Anitere Flores, R-Miami.
• Sen. Bill Galvano, R-Bradenton.
• Sen. Kathleen Passidomo, R-Naples.
• Sen. Jason Pizzo, D-Miami.
• Sen. Jose Javier Rodriguez, D-Miami.
• Sen. Darryl Rouson, D-St. Petersburg.
• Sen. David Simmons, R-Lakewood.
• Sen. Perry Thurston, D-Ft. Lauderdale.