Family Law Section donates $75K to The Florida Bar Foundation
Section’s charitable outreach initiatives exceed $125,000 for 2021-2022 Bar cycle
During the Florida Bar’s Annual Convention last month in Orlando, The Family Law Section presented a check for $75,000 to The Florida Bar Foundation in support of their children’s legal advocacy programs.
Since 2019, the section has donated $650,000 to The Florida Bar Foundation, the largest section contributor to the Foundation.
Outgoing Chair Heather Apicella presented the check to the Foundation’s immediate past President Connie Bookman.
“We’re immensely proud of our partnership with the Foundation and we’re deeply grateful for the support of our section members who help make this possible, year after year,” Apicella said.
The Family Law Section’s charitable giving has grown significantly over the years, enabling the section to contribute more than $125,000 annually to various family law-related initiatives.
“We’re proud that the dollars we allocate to charitable giving either directly or indirectly help the Florida families we work on behalf of every day,” said Chair Philip Wartenberg.
In addition to the annual contribution to the Foundation, the section also contributes:
- Scholarships – Estimated at over $35,000 annually for the Board Certification Review Course and Trial Advocacy Workshop.
- Chair’s Honorarium – Annual contribution of $5,000 to a charity or organization personally selected by the section’s chair. (In 2022, the contribution was awarded to SOS Children’s Villages Florida.)
- Florida Chapter Association of Family and Conciliation Courts – Annual $5,000 contribution.
- Surfside Family/Victims – One-time contribution of $5,000 in 2022.
- Complimentary Redbooks/Marital Review Course materials for all members of the judiciary, including judges and general magistrate and child support hearing officers in each of Florida’s 20 judicial circuits.
- Support for our many section members who manage pro bono cases throughout the state.