Three Board of Governors races set for March ballot
21 board members elected or reelected without opposition
Three seats on the Bar Board of Governors will have contested races in the upcoming March elections, while 17 board members were reelected without opposition and four new board members were elected without opposition when qualifying ended December 16.
Here are the contested board races:
• In the 11th Circuit, Seat 7, Michael Shelley of Miami Beach, and Alice Sum of Miami have filed to replace retiring Jack Hickey.
•In the 17th Circuit, Seat 1, incumbent Jay Kim of Ft. Lauderdale is being challenged by William Gelin of Oakland Park.
• In the 17th Circuit, Seat 4, incumbent Hilary Creary of Ft. Lauderdale is being challenged by Christina McKinnon of Miramar.
Ballots for the contested races will be emailed or mailed by the Bar’s election company, Elections Services Corporation, on or before March 2, and all votes must be received prior to midnight, March 23. As in past years, Bar members will have the option of returning a paper ballot or casting an online vote. Instructions will be in the mailed ballots.
If a runoff results from any of the races, ballots with the names of the top two finishers will be emailed or mailed around April 1 and must be returned by midnight April 22.
Platform statements from the five races will be in the February News and posted online.
Incumbents re-elected without opposition for additional two-year terms, 2020-22, are:
- First Circuit, Seat 1, Jeremy Branning, Pensacola.
- Second Circuit, Seat 2: Melissa N. VanSickle, Tallahassee
- Fourth Circuit, Seat 1: Michael Fox Orr, Jacksonville
- Sixth Circuit, Seat 1: Joshua T. Chilson, Clearwater
- Ninth Circuit, Seat 1: Thomas P. Wert, Orlando
- 10th Circuit, Seat 1: C. Richard Nail, Lakeland
- 11th Circuit, Seat 1: Roland Sanchez-Medina, Coral Gables
- 11th Circuit, Seat 3: Jordan Dresnick, South Miami
- 11th Circuit, Seat 5: Jeffrey Rynor, Miami Beach
- 13th Circuit, Seat 4: Paige A. Greenlee, Tampa
- 14th Circuit, Seat 1: Clifford C. Higby, Panama City
- 15th Circuit, Seat 1: Rosalyn Sia Baker-Barnes, West Palm Beach
- 15th Circuit, Seat 3: Robin I. Bresky, Boca Raton
- 18th Circuit, Seat 1: James G. Vickaryous, Lake Mary
- 20th Circuit, Seat 1: Laird A. Lile, Naples
- Out-of-State, Seat 2: Ian M. Comisky, Philadelphia, PA.
- Out-of-State, Seat 4: Brian David Burgoon, Atlanta, GA
New members elected for two-year terms beginning in June 2020 are:
- Third Circuit, Seat 1: Kris B. Robinson, Lake City
- Seventh Circuit, Seat 1: Philip Bonamo, Daytona Beach
- Ninth Circuit, Seat 3, Tad Allen Yates, Orlando.
- 13th Circuit, Seat 1: Kenneth G. Turkel, Tampa
All new and returning board members will be sworn in at the Bar’s June Annual Convention.