What employers need to know about the Families First Coronavirus Response Act
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Congress March 18 approved the Families First Coronavirus Response Act, which was promptly signed into law by President Donald Trump.
Among other things, the legislation (H.R. 6201) provides for free coronavirus testing, as well as addressing emergency leave; unemployment insurance; nutritional programs; protections for health-care workers; and additional funds for Medicaid.
Much of what in contained in the new federal corona virus legislation should be of great interest to employers, including those who manage law firms.
The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), a professional human resources membership association headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia, has posted a story about the legislation on its website that includes links to a number of articles and resources from SHRM Online and other media outlets that Florida lawyers may find of interest.
The Florida Bar is also providing COVID-19 information and updates at www.floridabar.org/covid19 to centralize communications to all Bar members, including court announcements, cancellations, rescheduled meetings, and any other matters that affect lawyers and their clients.
LegalFuel: The Practice Resource Center of The Florida Bar has also included a COVID-19 Information and Resources page on its website to assist Florida lawyers, with tips and links including:
- Part 1: Awareness, Response, and Workplace Plans/Policies
- Part 2: Law Firm Operations
- Part 3: Serving Clients
- How Law Firms Are Responding to the Coronavirus Pandemic, Law Practice Today (2020)
- Keeping Business Disruptions to a Minimum During Uncertain Times, Law Technology Today (2020)
- Coronavirus Looms – Can Technology Replace Travel?, Kennedy-Mighell Report (2020)
- Inside the Coronavirus Outbreak, Legal Talk Network (2020)
- Offline: The Coronavirus Outbreak Has Become a Referendum on Remote Work, Attorney at Work (2020)
- An Employer’s Guide to Navigating the Coronavirus, Gusto (2020)
- Law Firms and Bar Associations Must Plan Now for Coronavirus Outbreak, National Law Review (2020)
- How to Prepare Your Organization for the Coronavirus Outbreak, SAI (2020)
- Working Remotely: A Practical Guide for Small Law Firms, Smokeball (2020)
- USI Coronavirus Resource Guide
- CLE Webinars from the ABA About Legal Implications of COVID-19